Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, March 18, 2019

The arrival of 19-1803.

Today saw the arrival of a vintage clockwork locomotive which I saved from the scrap heap. Constructed by Karl Bub Nürnberg (KBN) somewhere in the 1930s, and missing many of its parts, the loc was offered up for sale to serve as a spares source for other locs - a practice that in the aviation world is referred to as 'cannibalism'.


Of course I couldn't let the poor loc be further reduced to scrap, so I decided to buy it and keep it 'as is' for display purposes or use in a future project.

I think she looks beautiful in all its rusted imperfection, industrial to the core, sehr Deutsch, and totally at home in my collection of old, dilapidated toy trains and steam engines! I gave her the name "Glück", and assigned to her serial no 19-1803. I wish her a happy life!


The above and below images show the missing front of the smoke box.





The clockwork misses most of its parts. To make this old lady run again, I'd have to replace the entire unit. It's possible, but I'll leave her like this for now. Less is more, remember...?



The 'KBN' letters stamped below the cab stand for Karl Bub Nürnberg, Germany.





* * *
Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a beauty! Even if the loc saw better days, I am sure it has a history of its own. I wouldn't change a thing! I'm glad it found a new home were it would be admired and cherished for what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, Rebecca! I couldn't have said it any better! :)

      Delete