Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Jane's attic, update XIX: a roof for the attic (part two).

In this update we'll continue where we left last time, and will focus on the attic's roof. As with everything else, designing it was a journey of discovery, as well as a big challenge, and although I had a rough idea of what I wanted, the final outcome was still a big question mark.


After much thinking and deciding what the shape of the roof would be like, and where the dormer window would be located, I started with the actual execution, beginning with placing the wooden tiles, all 400+ of them, one at the time!


Each time I finished a row of tiles, I gave them a first coating of grey paint, to be the basis for all the other stuff I threw at them later on. 


The roof has a flat top, divided into four sections. Please don't ask me why it was done this way, I just came up with the idea and liked the result. The chimney stands in a corner, directly above the place where the stove will be located. The above and below images show the roof with its first layer of coating, and only very slightly weathered. Note also that the surface of the walls was still plain cardboard at this point in time.


Below is a selection of pictures of the finished roof. There is not much else I can tell you about them, other than that the weathering of the tiles was done in a very irregular way, using all kinds of stuff, including sand from the Black Sea (again) adding an element of diversity to them, which becomes apparent as one lets their eyes wonder through the roof's surface. I also painted little light green 'patches' all across the roof, simulating lichen (Latin: Lecanora muralis), a species of moss that is usually found on stones, walls, and roofs.





I don't know what those roof tiles feared the most: the inclement weather to which they are subjected, or my weathering! But they should not complain, and look at it from the bright side: when I was done, each of them had acquired a unique 'personality'. Much like the colorful autumn leaves, no two are the same!















That will be all for the attic's roof. I hope you like the results! Thanks for visiting, and... SEE YOU NEXT TIME!!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

4 comments:

  1. Wow José! There is so much detail and work on this roof that I don't know from where to start. The weathering, the ageing, the colouring and the texture brings the whole roof to life. It's art on its own! A unique master piece that you should be very proud of. You never cease to impress me. A Big WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much, Rebecca!!! I'm very happy that you like the result, and definitely happy with your kind words!!! I must say I had great fun doing this roof, it was like a canvas to me, so yes, I guess it looks a bit like a painting.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought of painting each row of the rooftiles prior to completing the entire roof however I would imagine that it not only provides a good base for the shingles but eliminates any naked spots that might show up later between them.
    I love the sandy grit you've imbedded into the shingles as well as the moss effects and the dull metal flashing. The collection of detrius close to the drainage holes and the watermarks on the flat of the roof are a Pleasure to behold.
    The final effect of both roofs is Totally Masterful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Liz, for your kind words! I really appreciate you following the developments surrounding the attic, and the time you spend giving me your feedback!!

      Delete