Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Further progress on the oil tanker rail car: painting the tank

This time the tank itself got my attention.

I applied 'warm gray' color paint on top of the primer using a spray can. I sprayed in an irregular fashion, to give it that extra 'weathered' or 'dirty' look.


 
What you don't see here, is that, when I started to 'weather' the tank further, I got a bit carried away at it! The wagon looked great, but way too rusty! 

And even though I totally loved the result, the idea for this project is to represent an operational unit, hence there is only so much one can do as far as weathering goes. Otherwise the poor wagon would never pass the 'safety test' :)

So... I resprayed it a bit, smoothing out the rust, and giving it a rough, yet more 'decent' look! The extra layer of paint also gave it more structure, and now it looks like a heavy-duty wagon which has been around for a while, and has been painted many times over!



And yes, it still has some rust here and there, because otherwise it would not match with the chassis. I must say the result so far is pretty cool!

To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment