Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, September 14, 2018

Rain

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the birth of 'Rain' as a graphic novel character. A character born out of sorrow, out of loss, the ghost of a young girl that visits the realm of the living to tell tales of the beyond, and to bring justice and solace to those in need of it. 

Below is a watercolor painting which I did of her back in 1998. This and two other drawings took part in an exhibition for upcoming graphic novel artists held in that same year in the 'legendary' graphic novel shop 'Mekanik Strip' in Antwerp, Belgium. Today the portrait graces one of my living room walls.

Rain artwork, which was exhibited in Mekanik Strip, the 'legendary' graphic novel shop in Antwerp, Belgium.
After the exhibition I produced a couple of short stories featuring 'my daughter', as I affectionately call her. They were published under the name 'Rain's FreakShow' both online and 'on paper'.

During a comics fair in The Netherlands, I showed one of the stories to the late (yet immortal) Don Lawrence of 'Storm' fame. He looked at it with great interest, took his time and gave me his compliments for my work. I remember few moments in my life when I felt as happy as on that day..!


Following the initial success, the project came virtually to a standstill. I became increasingly frustrated by the feeling that I could not depict Rain as I saw her in my head. She became something larger than life to me, an entity that I could not 'translate' from the ethereal realm of shadows to the reality of crispy white paper. So the production of artwork stopped, and Rain continued developing in my head, and in my heart instead, invisible to the public, but very much present as part of my everyday life.

A 'one off' manga-style Rain comic strip (Dutch).

Rain's FreakShow 'BLACK STAR' logo.

Some years ago, while visiting a dolls & teddy bears fair, I saw something that took my breath away. There, standing on a display table, was a doll that bore an uncanny resemblance to my Rain! Some differences aside, she had a total 'Rain' feel to her!!! The maker, an incredibly talented lady named Mrs Willeke de Swart, had created a doll that made my heart jump with joy! Of course I had to have her, the hefty price tag that comes naturally with such a unique, hand made porcelain doll was the least of my concerns!


Rain, Oscar, and me.

Once I 'adopted' the doll, which of course I immediately christened 'Rain', I decided to commission a rather 'creepy' teddy bear for her, just like the one she has in the stories. This teddy (Oscar) was made according to my specifications by a real pro: the lovely Marrie van Vliet. She even made 'Oscar' in two sizes, one for Rain, and another, much bigger one for photography purposes. 

Fast forward to today, the 'Rain doll' has featured in countless photo shoots (and so has Oscar), and kept the dream alive that, some day, my Rain will come out in full force, ready to take over the world and fulfill her destiny as the bringer of solace, the comforter, the one that takes your tears away...



"I am your shadow, the echo of your soul.." (Rain)



"Sometimes, she comes to life, 
and is just there for me,
to bring me joy and peace..."






"Look at those eyes, those are not the eyes of a doll!
Behold her lips! Soft as the petals of a rose!
Look at her skin, that is no longer porcelain,
but real, warm, breathing skin.."


"Sometimes, she comes to life and is just there for me, to bring me joy and peace..."

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

2 comments:

  1. One of your many talents José that the world definitely needs to know about! Rain is your soul, your inner you. The little girl deserves to be known and recognized as much as you do. I am sure in the near future we will be seeing more of Rain in your stories and drawings. I don't have a doubt about that. It's about time that both of you shine. Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Rebecca!!! Rain is indeed a part of me, like all my creations. I do hope that you're right about her getting more exposure, she definitely deserves it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete