Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Jane's attic update No XLIX: An old bible.

Sometimes, even a seemingly simple and trivial object makes an interesting subject for a 'makeover' and, subsequently, a blog. Looking for items to add to Jane's attic, I came across a miniature bible which I had all forgotten about. However, it looked rather 'basic' and, honestly, quite boring. So I decided to work on it, and turn it into something more eye catching. 


For starters I weathered its cover to make it look like old, heavily used leather, instead of the 'brand new' look it originally had. By doing so, the color changed from deep, uniform black, to a more varied black/gray/white pattern. The golden print which reads "Holy Bible" was weathered too, making it faded and almost unreadable.


I also created 'pages' where there were none, this being one of those 'dummy' books that have a solid body.


I tore off the spine, and added a layer of fabric, weathered it, then put back the spine, but left it largely loose, as if it's about to fall off at any time.




When I was done, I was left with a very old and well-worn looking bible; a book that could easily be one hundred years old. I do have some books that old, and a couple of them look like this too.




The above image showing the little bible in the palm of my hand gives you an idea of its size. I'm very pleased with the result, I hope you like it too!

* * *


Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

2 comments:

  1. So beautifully done José. You have an amazing eye for detail. So unique and original. It just looks right especially for the attic. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very nice of you, Rebecca!! I definitely try my best to make things look as realistic as I possibly can.. ;)

    ReplyDelete