Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, May 13, 2019

The "Metamorphosis" project update: a nice window is installed.



Today I'm discussing a window I installed as part of my current 'Metamorphosis' project. And although discussing 'a window' does not seem particularly exciting, I do feel that it deserves some attention. What I like about this particular window style, is that it has one panel opening outwards, instead of the usual sliding panels. Somehow I felt this would be more suitable for my room box, which is supposedly part of an apartment building. So I ordered it online, and waited with great anticipation.





When it arrived, I noticed that, although the window was beautiful, its finishing could have been done better. For instance, the perspex of the fixed windows came separately, and didn't have the wooden jambs needed for the inside face of the window, i.e. the side facing the interior of the room box. So basically I had to do them myself with thin pieces of wood. More wood was needed anyway, because the walls of my room box are 1 cm (0.39 inches) thick, which is much thicker than your average room box or dolls house wall. Adding extra wood on the inside 'bridged' the open space and created a perfect fit!



This image: the window didn't have any jambs on the inside, so I made my own.
This image: the wood looks lovingly weathered!



I'm pretty happy with the end result. The window looks lovely and wonderfully weathered. And all that extra wood makes it more interesting to look at, as well as quite realistic!

* * *
Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

2 comments:

  1. I totally love it José. It was definitely worth all the work. It is totally perfect and looks so realistic. Well done! So proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete