Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, June 14, 2019

The "Metamorphosis" project: a desk and chair.


Hello everybody, here's a new update for my ongoing "Metamorphosis" project; a project inspired by and centered around the famous story by Franz Kafka. 

This time I'm sharing images of a desk and chair to be placed in Gregor Samsa's room. By the way, Gregor is the protagonist of Kafka's story, a guy that woke up one day and discovered that he had turned into a bug. Indeed, this can happen to the best of us...

 
Both items were already painted when I bought them, but the idea was to change them in such a way that they acquired a 'personality' of their own. In my view they were simply too plain and boring to be used without alterations. 


For starters, the desk, which was actually a washing table, had a trimming on the back and sides which I removed. Then I covered the tabletop with a sheet of cardboard which was painted and weathered to look like leather or wood.

 
The original painting of the table was removed for the most part, and replaced with new coatings to make it darker and more in line with the rest of the furniture in Gregor's room.





Then I turned my attention to the chair, which was similarly stripped of its paint, and received new coatings. The fabric of the seat was weathered to make it look well worn because, as you may know by now, I like things much more that way!


The below images show two examples of the same chair; the one on the left in its original condition, and next to it the one which received my 'treatment'. 



For some reason, a chair that looks old and 'tired' is much more attractive to me that a new and shiny one! Same goes for interiors and furniture in general, not only in the miniatures world, but also in my own apartment. So, if my mom should decide to visit me and started asking when I'm gonna paint that ceiling or replace what's broken, I would invariably say: "Leave it, mom, it's industrial!"


This is it for now! I hope you liked it, and look forward to welcome you again here for the next update on this special project!

* * *
Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

3 comments:

  1. Like always José the transformation of the furniture pieces are amazing. The weathering is done so realistic that you wouldn't know if it is actually the real thing. A big well done once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful words Rebecca, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there I absolutely love your work would love to be able to this on my dollhouse don’t know how you do it make it look old and rusty any tips please much appreciated thank you

    ReplyDelete