Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Rust & Steel Special: Battle Damaged Droid.

Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well!

Here's a little, very fun project I did last night. I had been working on a recently acquired dolls house during the day, so I decided to relax a bit at night by doing this, totally different, little thingie you see here.

 

 
I've loved sci-fi films ever since I was a kid and, Star Wars aside, my favorites always have been the 1950's vintage ones. You know, those old, black & white flicks that always seem to start with a nuclear explosion, leading to the creation of some evil mutant creature that turns their anger at unsuspected civilians. The monsters in those films are usually actors dressed up in a costume, so no computer generated stuff as is common today. Perhaps my favorite 'monster maker' of that era is the late Paul Blaisdell of 'Invasion of the Saucer Men' and 'The She-Creature' fame, films that have since achieved a 'cult' status with many sci-fi fans.
 

Blaisdell was incredibly creative, and testimony to that is the fact that he could come up with new 'monsters' while working under a very huge time pressure, and for very little money (for some of his work he was actually never paid). The man's creativity and resourcefulness are definitely a big inspiration to me! 
 

 
Back to my own little robot; it was something I've been wanting to do for a while. I have several 'retro' robots in my collection, and seeing them triggered the desire to make a miniature one of my own. So I gathered some odd pieces here and there, worked on them, and put this little fellow here together. As you can see, he's seen better days, missing many parts, and being kind of rusty. But nevertheless he still retains a certain cuteness and personality, which is quite something for a robot, or 'droid' as is more common language today.

 
 
I'm not sure yet how I'm going to use it, but chances are that he'll end up being part of some larger, sci-fi themed project! In any case, I'm very happy how he turned out, and to be honest, I already became kind of attached to him!

 
That's all for now, folks. Thanks for visiting, keep safe, and see you next time! 

 

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

2 comments:

  1. Wow José this is fantastic. Very impressive work and so unique. Looking forward to more of your robots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca, many thanks for your very enthusiastic comments, they mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete