Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, December 11, 2020

The Immortal Nosferatu: The Bird of Death.

 Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well!

A while ago, I came across an action figure of my favorite horror movie character, 'Nosferatu.' And when I say 'Nosferatu,' I mean the original version, performed by the incredible Max Schreck in the 1922 silent German Expressionist horror film directed by F. W. Murnau. Below is a still from that film, featuring Max Schreck as the evil Count Orlok.

 

Now, below are two images of the action figure I mentioned. Although I must say it was done with great eye for detail, I don't think it truly captures the 'spirit' of the film. Somehow, this Count looks too clean to me, and -in a way-  too 'well fed' and 'alive' to be Max Schreck!

 
In fact, seeing him on the below pic, I'd say he looks a bit like your average old neighbor, on his way to fetch his morning newspaper from the porch (sort of).
 

As it happens, I modeled a 'Nosferatu' figure of my own three years ago. It was actually one of my very first miniature 'shadow box' projects, as I was a 'newbie' in the miniatures world at the time. I remember seeing the film a thousand times to get 'in the mood,' and listening non-stop to a music score composed by the French band Art Zoyd for a re-release of the film. I love the Art Zoyd music score because it makes the film even more scary.

The idea behind 'my' Nosferatu was to capture the scrawny appearance of the Count, the surreal and nightmarish atmosphere of the film, as well as that lifeless, cold, fish-like gaze achieved by Max Schreck, and which made him such an incredible actor. And, honestly, I think I did turn out pretty well. In any case, it got my 'Nosferatu' shadow box published in the October 2018 issue of American Miniaturist Magazine with a whopping 5 page article!


That's all for now, folks. Thanks for visiting, keep safe, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author. The "Nosferatu action figure" pictures are copyright of Mego Action Figures, used here for illustration purposes only.

 

2 comments:

  1. You definitely did an amazing Job on Your Nosferatu. It is more in tune with the original silent movie. You have captured his soul in the figure you made. Well done José

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I definitely did my best to capture the 'mood'of the film; glad you think I achieved that! :)

      Delete