Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, July 15, 2019

The "Metamorphosis" project: pillow talk (sort of).

Hi all, I hope you're doing well! A fresh week has started, so let's make the best of it!

Today I want to touch base on the degree of realism that one wants to put into miniatures when creating them.

Of course this varies greatly across our 'miniaturists community' for reasons too numerous to contemplate here, ranging from the level of skill the miniaturist has, to the perceived need to create something more or less resembling the original object one wants to portray.

Personally I'm quite pragmatic on the subject, and the level of realism I apply serves the purpose for which I create a mini. My aim is not to recreate 'reality' in every minute detail (although I sometimes truly enjoy doing just that!) but to create a scene that brings about a certain feeling with the viewer.

More often than not, the objects I create are not totally faithful to a certain scale; they do not mimic the details of the full scale object which inspired them, nor are they always perfectly finished. But again, that's not my intent. 
My miniature scenes are more like a canvas, portraying an expression (and impression) of the images I have in my head.


The above pictures show a pillow I made for the Metamorphosis project. Actually, the pillow was already made, but it was filled with some stuff that did not give it a natural look. 

I wanted to make a little dent or impression on it, as if someone had just slept on it, but no matter what I tried, the thing returned to its original shape. So I cut it open and replaced the filling with something more workable, then gave the pillow the shape that I had in mind. I hope you agree with me that it looks pretty realistic. Never mind the bed, this is just the frame (self-made) on which a mattress and bedding will eventually be placed.

So there you go: reality serving a purpose. But then again, I'm a very pragmatic guy.

* * *
Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author

2 comments:

  1. Indeed José you are a perfectionist and your work stands out because of its realism. You have done a good job on the pillow. Can't wait to see the complete bed and project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca, very kind of you!! I definitely give it my best shot, never happy with less than that!

      Delete