Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Waiting for a Train

All around the water tank, waiting for a trainA thousand miles away from home, sleeping in the rainI walked up to a brakeman just to give him a line of talkHe said "If you got money, boy, I'll see that you don't walkI haven't got a nickel, not a penny can I show"Get off, get off, you railroad bum" and slammed the boxcar door.
 
 

 

He put me off in Texas, a state I dearly loveThe wide open spaces all around me, the moon and the stars up aboveNobody seems to want me, or lend me a helping handI'm on my way from Frisco, going back to DixielandMy pocket book is empty and my heart is full of painI'm a thousand miles away from home just waiting for a train.
 
Song by Jimmie Rodgers (1897-1933), recorded in 1928, released in 1929 by Victor Company.
You can hear the song in a rare video of Jimmie on YouTube by clicking HERE


© 2023  José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment