Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, December 14, 2018

Jane's attic, update XXXV: an oil lamp.

Today I'm discussing a very cute, little oil lamp for Jane's attic. Measuring less than 4 cm (1.5 inches) tall, this 1:12 scale beauty didn't arrive looking anything like the way you see it here.

The oil lamp standing on the French dresser.
For starters, the lamp's font (the 'body') was painted in a very cheesy yellow color, and didn't have a wick regulator, let alone a wick (the lamp's 'fuse'). So I added these and painted the font using various color layers, including some green coloring suggesting brass corrosion.


The chimney consisted of a piece of massive plastic that made the lamp look very unrealistic.  I changed that by hollowing it out with my multi-tool, an extremely delicate process which required surgical precision, as one wrong move would destroy the chimney! Luckily, the material proved quite resistant, so I managed to achieve my goal. The below pics are a tribute to the humble, yet gorgeous oil lamp. It offers close-up views of its key elements for you to enjoy!

The oil lamp with its chimney next to it.
The upper part of the font, with the added burner, the wick, and wick regulator.



Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so realistic and detailed. If I didn't know any better, I would say it's the real thing. Impressive work José like always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does look realistic, I must say! Thanks so much, as ever, for you encouraging words, Rebecca! :)

      Delete
  2. an ancient and corroded oil lamp :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth!! By the way, I visited your blog and couldn't believe my eyes seeing all those incredible miniatures and interiors! Your art is truly high level and humbling, aside from being just damn beautiful!

      Delete