Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Jane's attic update XXXVII: the dolls house.

Hi everybody, I hope you're doing great!

I've been working on a miniature dolls house which I'm sure will fit just right in Jane's attic! It was built from a laser cut kit which I bought at a fair recently, although no doubt the end result turned out somewhat different than intended by its designer!


The kit was very basic, so I decided to do 'something' with it to make it more suitable for the attic. I built the basic structure, i.e. the outer walls and roof, but then, discarding the building instructions, I started to add extra stuff to it. This include wooden beams to support the floors, an extra layer to the inner walls to which then wallpaper was applied, and subsequently weathered and shredded to pieces, and wooden (actually cardboard) flooring.




I also decided to leave out the upper floor and inner wall out altogether, as well as the front of the house. After all, this is supposed to be an old, derelict dolls house stuck away in an attic. It was not supposed to look 'pretty' or complete,  but rather like something that has been played with a lot, showing the wear and tear of heavy use and subsequent abandonment. I did, however, work on the missing floor and inner wall, and put them next to the house, much like people usually do when they store something together with its bits and pieces, to (maybe) restore it some time in the future.




As you can see on these images, I also placed supporting beams where the second floor is supposed to be, even though the floor itself was left out. I did this to add more realism to the structure.




The above and below images show the upper floor and inner wall of the house, leaning against it.







The above photo gives you an idea of the size of the dolls house, which is 8 cm tall, 5 cm wide, and 2,5 cm deep (3,1 x 1,9 x 0,98 inches). 

After all was done, I thought that it would be nice to install a tiny, bare light bulb hanging directly below the roof, just to add some extra 'magic' to it all.



Then I decided to actually add a piece of furniture to it, a bed. It had to be extremely tiny though, so it was quite a challenge (remember the big hands?), but in the end I managed to do something that looks pretty convincing, I must say. Here are some pictures..








I'm very pleased with the outcome of this little project, and for sure the 'creepy dolls house' will be a great addition to Jane's attic!!



Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

4 comments:

  1. It's perfect José. The detail added to the dolls house will give the attic more character and not to mention the extra detail of the tiny little bed. I wonder to whom it belonged to. Well done.I love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rebecca! Mystery is the spice of life ;)

      Delete
  2. You have certainly given the tiny doll's dollhouse a look of long neglect and subsequent dereliction...
    and it's right at home in Jane's attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best, Elizabeth! Thaks for your encouraging words!

      Delete