Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Number 30: a beautiful, old dolls house.

Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well!


A little over a week ago, I purchased a beautiful, old dolls house. I wasn't planning to; she just 'happened' to cross my path, as is often the case, and I didn't hesitate for a moment. Here you see her standing on my living room table, right after arrival.


I have no idea how old she is, but she must be very vintage. Her previous owner 'worked' on her for some time, then decided to get rid of her. Well, you won't hear me complain!

She was basically stripped bare, but I got all kinds of bits and pieces, including ancient curtains, that -thankfully- the previous owner kept while doing his 'restoration' work.


Those bits and pieces I intend to use in due time, but it's not my intention to make her look all shiny and new again, in fact I love her just the way she is!
Besides, one must be careful when working on such old houses, they deserve lots of caution, love and respect!


The house is pretty much complete, even with the glass of the windows still intact, except for a small window which I will replace. Some of the glass had been removed, but came as part of the 'stash' that I got with the house.


Next to the main entrance there is a number '30,' hence I decided to name the house -and this project-  accordingly.



I totally love the staircase, which doesn't look anything like your regular dolls house staircase. The floor around it misses a couple of tiles, but I think I've seen them between the 'rubble'. If not, I don't mind leaving them out, as 'derelict' is my middle name when it comes to dolls houses (and, yes, less is definitely more!).





On the right side of the house, on the first floor, there's a beautiful balcony with two big doors.I imagine the balcony was tiled but I'm not sure, I'll have to study it in more detail.


The wooden roof tiles are quite thick and sturdy!


Below picture: Number 30 in the living room, just after arrival, with in the background "The Centennial" dolls house. I wouldn't be surprised if they're from around the same time period, although I have the feeling that this one is slightly younger. But then again, some ladies of a certain age do defy the passage of time quite successfully!



That's all for now, folks!  Thanks for visiting, and see you next time!

© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

2 comments:

  1. Simply Beautiful José. I am so glad that you got this dolls house. It still has so much character and life. It couldn't have gone to a better owner. I know it would be loved and taken care as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rebecca! I'll treasure and be very kind to her! :)

      Delete