Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, July 29, 2018

An old kitchen stove gets a makeover.. and a crate of wood to boot!

Recently I acquired an old, hand-made, metal kitchen stove. And although I liked the 'minimalist approach' of the artist who designed and made it, I thought the stove could use an extra 'bite'.

It's not meant for the attic project, by the way, I did it 'just for fun', and I'm sure I'll use it for something else in due time! So here's how it looked like:


This image: the original stove.


And this is what it ended looking like, after the magic was done:

This image: the stove after the 'makeover'.


Quite a difference, right? So what did I do? Well, there is actually nothing on this stove that remained untouched. For starters, I made the whole thing 'rusty' and worn out, just the way I like them! Then I added a 'steel' hob to the top, to make it look more realistic.





I also added four 'discs' to represent heaters, althought this is a very old school stove, fuelled by wood, not gas or electricity!

Then the main oven door got some attention too in the shape of a nice, long metal handle. Same for the smallest door, which I guess was a compartment for coal, or wood, or both... No idea, but for sure the little door looks very cute now with its handle!





Then a lion head was added to each side of the stove for decoration purposes. Remember that this is an ancient kitchen stove, probably used by Napoleon (who can tell..?), so it should have this type of embellishments to make it more 'archaic'.


This image: lion head on the left side.



This image: lion head on the right side.
 Below are some additional images showing the level of 'rust' of the stove...

This image: the back of the stove wasn't forgotten!

Finally, it was time to give the old lady a companion, for which I took a crate and weathered the heck out of it, to match the stove's appearance. I also added so extra details, including a label,  and stuffed it with real wood from the forests of Romania, courtesy of my friend Adela, who by now has become something of my official Romanian wood dealer!





So here are two pictures of the kitchen stove 2.0, together with his side kick the wooden crate. In all, it was a very successful weekend project, I should say! 



 Thanks for visiting and be well!!!


© José Pereira Torrejón. All rights reserved. No part of the content of this blog may be distributed, published or reproduced without prior authorization from the author.

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing transformation! Seriously! just an 'extra bite'? I think you have done more than that. It's unrecognizable! You have added so much more character and detail to it. I can't wait to see it in one of your future projects. Well done Jose, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's so nice of you to say, Rebecca, I'm honored!!!!

      Delete
  2. your Old is gold! The added embellishments and the patina look Incredible!

    ReplyDelete